This is me, Eccles

This is me, Eccles
This is me, Eccles

Wednesday 9 October 2024

It's Radcliffe Mania!

Are YOU organizing a synod? Well, if not, why not? Have you not heard the Holy Father tell us that the essence of Catholicism is its synodality? You should eat, drink, breathe and sleep synodality (especially the last if it gets to be too boring)!

Synod tables

Musical chairs at a synod party. Take one away and see which synodder can't find a seat when the music stops!

All right, I've persuaded you. There are lots of excuses for a synod - a birthday synod, a baptism synod, a wedding synod, a funeral synod... If you can't think of a good reason, just send out invitations to a few friends - 400 should be enough - to sit round tables in a sinister-looking hall for a week or two.

Now you will need an official retreat master and spiritual advisor to deliver a series of talks and meditations to the delegates during the assembly of your synod. And this is where Radcliffe Mania comes in - everyone wants their own Timothy Radcliffe!

Radcliffe

A Radcliffe impersonator - an old sheet, a cheap wig and a bag of heresy.

Just look at what you'll need to guide your synod:

* A president at one of the infamous Soho Masses.
* A man who recommended the film Brokeback Mountain.
* A man who rejects the Church's teaching on homosexual relations.

Sounds like Fr James Martin LGBTSJ, doesn't it? But no, Jimbo is only second grade material - he won't be a cardinal until the consistory after next! The flavour of the day is Tim Radagast.

Ivereigh drivel

Oh, did I mean Radagast or Gandalf?

Anyway, we are soon going to see a new-look Radagast the red. Out goes the white sheet, in comes a red sheet. A nice red hat will complete the effect.

Radagast

However, when off duty, Cardinal Radagast prefers brown vestments.

Well, I hope this article has been helpful to you. We can't all be Timothy Radcliffe, but it won't be difficult to dress up as him, to entertain your synodal guests. As for retreat talks and meditations - well, make up what you like, but nothing too Catholic. Right?

Fun for all the family!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! That sounds like great fun! I'm going to see if I can get a synod synodding, maybe in time for halloween. I'll print out your list of requirements and get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gandalf of the Synod: I need to see you at this synod.
    Me: Can I pass on that?
    GOTS: .....
    Me: OK, my friends and I will come in that case, but all the trains will get us there far too late. How can we get from London to Rome in time?
    GOTS: .....

    I'm just going to stay home and watch the live stream on palantir. What could go wrong?

    ReplyDelete