This is me, Eccles

This is me, Eccles
This is me, Eccles

Wednesday 9 February 2022

The World Cup of Instruments in Hell

Or should that be Instruments From Hell? If you go to the "other place", which of course the highly-saved readers of this blog probably won't, what do you expect to hear?

vuvuzuela

"Welcome to Hell."

This started off as a battle between accordion-haters and guitar-haters, but it soon became clear that there were many other instruments that people didn't want to hear. So let's settle it with a World Cup (then, when we have the 2nd World Cup of Bad Hymns later in the year, we shall know what instruments to play the winners on).

bagpipes

Scotsmen love this. Others, less so.

Here are the nominations so far (apologies if I missed any). If you have others, then please leave them in the comments, or as replies to the Twitter tweet advertising this.

accordion
bagpipes
clarinet
didgeridoo
(electronic) organ
(electronic) piano
fiddle
guitar
harpischord
kazoo
recorder
spoons
tambourine
triangle
ukelele
vibraphone (also known as vibes, 
   but not the good vibes that Pope Francis wants)
vuvuzela
washboard
We'll start when we reach 32 (a convenient number), or whenever I think we've got all we're going to get.

guitar mass

As recommended by the Spirit of Vatican II.


Addendum: We now have 32 nominations and will kick off tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Never cared for spoons, but ok in ice cream. I love all other kinds of music 'cept when they play Mr. E. Of Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the geezer (is he The Deacon ?) (can one still say that, these days ?), at the back of the Sanctuary (can one still say that, these days?), behind The Priest (is it OK to say that, these days ?), is playing The Paper and Comb.

    May I put The Paper and Comb forward for consideration in your Instruments From Hell ?

    Meanwhile, a big Thank You, Eccles, for your continued erudition and proper Catholic Teaching. The World needs you, Eccles.

    Will you be going to Rome for any Conclave in the future and will you put yourself forward ?

    Pope Eccles The Great has a certain ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We now have 32 nominations. Off to do the draw for round 1.
      Z - of course I shall do as last time, gate-crash using the red biretta I borrowed last time.

      Delete
  3. I'm too late to nominate the autoharp. I do hope someone else did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think playing the fool should be banned...

    ReplyDelete