This is me, Eccles

This is me, Eccles
This is me, Eccles

Monday 3 February 2020

Useful Latin phrases for Candlemas

Tempus fugit candelae exstinguendae.
You should have put those candles out ten minutes ago.

Capilla ardentia.
Your hair is on fire.

Nescivi mantillas combustibiles esse.
I didn't know that mantillas were inflammable.

Manuel

Infans cines.
I told you not to give a candle to your child.

Iacite aquam sanctam!
Throw some holy water over him.

Novem novem novem.
Fire brigade? We have a problem.

Fireman Sam

"Must be Candlemas again."

6 comments:

  1. The following day: pebbles of a white wax blizzard- some had fallen on good ground, some on stony hard tile, some by the wayside. Most ground into the green carpet for eternity as we celebrated st. Blaze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. make that, wax pellets descendet sicut pluvia in vellus, et sicut stillicidia stillantia super terram.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Especially 'capilla ardentia.' I attended the Candlemas Mass in the Chapel in the rue du Bac in Paris and although candles were given out there was no procession 'due to the French 'elf'n'safety.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fun. Seriously, I was frightened that I had started my own 'capilla' on fire. I wasn't the only one, and I believe I smelled burning mantilla. But the little people sure enjoyed the excitement of holding lighted candles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Lord Sugar would say, 'Ego te demitto!'

    ReplyDelete