This is me, Eccles

This is me, Eccles
This is me, Eccles

Tuesday 23 April 2024

World Cup of Great Catholic Leaders - nominations, please!

Well, the World Cup of Misused Churches has been a bit of an anti-climax, as the polling was probably the slowest of any of these World Cups. Maybe we can do better this time.

Various people (some of them extremely implausible) have been described as Catholic Leaders, or similar. So we will vote to see who best deserves that description.

The rules:
1. Candidates must be living Catholic priests/bishops/etc.
So hard luck, Austen Ivereigh, Taylor Marshall, Joe Biden, ...
 
2. We will, as usual, do this by Twitter polls.

3. Marko Rupnik is disqualified.
 
4. The umpire's decision (mine) is final.
So far I have the following nominations (ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous, but you will be able to decide which is which):
Athanasius Schneider
Carlo Maria Viganò
Charles Chaput
Dwight Longenecker
Gerhard Ludwig Müller
James Martin
John Zuhlsdorf
Joseph Strickland
Joseph Zen
Mario Grech
Pope Francis
Raymond Burke
Robert Barron
Robert Sarah
Thomas Reese
Timothy Dolan
Víctor Manuel Fernández
Wilfrid Napier
Wilton Gregory
You are encouraged to nominate further candidates, either by replying to this post or by replying to the advert on Twitter. If I have never heard of your nominee, then he probably isn't eligible, however #saved he may be.

Eccles

Also disqualified!

This one is SERIOUS, even though you may agree that some of the candidates are complete no-hopers.


Addendum: We now have 48 entrants, which is an appropriate place to stop. The World Cup begins tomorrow (April 25th).

21 comments:

  1. Fr. Cassian Folsom. ... Aaand I am literally sitting here with my face in my hands and eyes scrinched up trying to think of one single other person worthy of the name. And failing. I don't believe any of these other shysters and failed fake heroes qualify. None of them. It makes me angry to see their names listed. Angry. Quite a lot. Very. Am mad now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. If any others occur to you, let's have them (fairly soon).

      Delete
  2. Fr. JesusMary Missigbeto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bishop James S. Wall, Bishop Samuel J. Aquila

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about Abp. Cordileone and
    Fr. Joseph Fessio?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cardinal Müller -- Dr Gavin Ashenden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Müller is there already. Ashenden isn't a priest.

      Delete
    2. You asked "leader" not "priest" -- and Dr. Ashenden is certainly the former. Arguably the latter. As to Müller, apologies bruvver, I missed him in your list. Whoopsie !!

      Delete
  6. Sarah for Pope! He has my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mother Natalia from Pints With Aquinas. Wonderfully encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bishop Donald Sanborn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that makes 48, so we'll stop there.

      Delete
  9. I don't do Twitter, if that is meant to be the mode of voting. However, I would like to register a vote for Cardinal Muller, if that's acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m beginning to think that those people saying Francis isn’t pope and that Benedict didn’t resign are actually right…a lot of misinformation about all the details is making me rethink my original view.

    ReplyDelete