This is me, Eccles

This is me, Eccles
This is me, Eccles

Tuesday 6 August 2024

The second World Cup of Bad Hymns

As a distraction from all the other problems in the world, we'll have another world cup. I had planned a sumptuous opening ceremony, with Pachamama idols and Rupnik artwork, but, after complaints about bad taste from the Olympic Committee I decided to scrap it.

Anyway, as promised, the second world cup of bad hymns will begin soon. The first one, held in 2018, ended as follows:
Gold: Lord of the Dance (Sydney Carter)
Silver: Gather us in (Marty Haugen)
Bronze: Shine, Jesus, Shine (Graham Kendrick)
Fourth Place: Kumbayah (anon)
bad hymn winners

The previous winners.

As before, this one will organised by a sequence of Twitter polls, one per day, on a knock-out basis, with as many rounds as needed.

Badness may be defined any way you wish, either by stupid lyrics, bad theology (since people of all Christian denominations - or none - may take part, we won't get agreement here), or even by an appalling tune.

I started with 44 nominations (everything that reached Round 2 last time, plus a few others that I particularly dislike). Nominations will close when we reach 64, or people stop sending them in - either by replying to this post or by replying to the Twitter announcement.

hymn board

Anything that makes you shudder...


Here are the ones we have so far (I am adding new ones as they arrive):
Abba, Abba Father, You are the Potter, we are the clay,  Carey Landry
Alleluia Ch-Ch,  Paul Inwood
As a fire is meant for burning,  Ruth Duck
As the deer pants,  Martin Nystrom
Autumn days when the grass is jewelled,  Estelle White
Bind us together, Lord,  Bob Gillman
Caterpillar, caterpillar,  Susan Sayers
Cheep! said the sparrow on the chimney top,  Estelle White
Christ be our light,  Bernadette Farrell
Colours of day,  Sue McClellan
Come to the feast of Heaven and Earth (table of plenty),  Daniel Schutte
Eat this bread,  Jacques Berthier
Enemy of apathy (she sits like a bird),  John L. Bell and Graham Maule
Father, in my life I see,  Frank Andersen
Follow me,  Michael Cocket
For everyone born, a place at the table,  Shirley Murray
Gather us in,  Marty Haugen
Gift of finest wheat,  John Michael Talbot
Gloria (clap clap),  Martin Anderson
Glory to God (Peruvian Gloria),  Anon
Go, the Mass is ended,  Sister Marie Lydia Pereira
God of concrete,  Frederick R.C. Clarke
God of mercy and compassion,  Edmund Vaughan
God's Spirit is in my heart,  Alan Dale
I am the Bread of Life,  Suzanne Toolan
I am the Living Bread,  Ifeanyichukwu Eze
I am the Word that spoke (take and eat),  Michael Joncas
I just wanna be a sheep,  Brian Howard
I saw the grass, I saw the trees,  Estelle White
I watch the sunrise,  John Glynn
I, the Lord of sea and sky (here I am, Lord),  Daniel Schutte
If I were a butterfly,  Brian Howard
In bread we bring you, Lord,  Daniel O'Donnell
In Christ alone my hope is found, Stuart Townend and Keith Getty 
In my wrestling and in my doubts (my Lighthouse),  Llewellyn / Gilkeson
Jesus Christ the apple tree,  R.H.
Kumbayah,  Anon
Let there be peace on Earth,  Vince Gill
Let us build a house where love can dwell (all are welcome),  Marty Haugen
Let us build the city of God,  Daniel Schutte
Lord of the Dance,  Sydney Carter
Lord, you have come to the lakeshore/lakeside,  Cesáreo Gabaráin
Mary, did you know?  Mark Lowry
Moses, I know you're the man,  Estelle White
No longer strangers to each other (companions on the journey),  Carey Landry 
Now we remain,  David Haas
On eagle's wings,  Michael Joncas
One bread, one body,  John Foley
Our God reigns,  Leonard E. Smith
Shine, Jesus, shine,  Graham Kendrick
Sing a New Church,  Delores Dufner
Springs of water, bless the Lord,  Marty Haugen
The Lord told Noah (so rise and shine),  Trad.
The world is full of smelly feet,  Michael Forster
They'll know we are Christians by our love,  Peter Scholtes
This little light of mine,  Harry Dixon Loes
Touch the earth lightly,  Shirley Murray
Walk in the Light,  Damian Lundy
We are the salt of the earth (go make a difference),  Steve Angrisano, 
   Tom Tomaszek
We rise again from ashes,  Tom Conry
Who is the alien,  Mary Louise Bringle
Will you let me be your servant,  Richard Gillard
You are mine,  David Haas
You call me out upon the waters (oceans),  Joel Houston et al
hand waving in church

"The next hymn is ... so put your hand up if you want to leave."

Addendum: We'll stick to English language hymns (and Christian ones) to avoid strange songs from people worshipping Klingon gods.

Addendum-dum: We now have 64 entries, and that's the lot.

24 comments:

  1. Reading this list brought up horrific memories from Catholic school in the nineties. However did any of us survive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay: "My Lighthouse" - by Rend Collective (whoever they are). Currently a fad in Catholic primary schools in Diocese of Nottingham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've located it. Written by Chris Llewellyn and Gareth Gilkeson. Begins:
      In my wrestling and in my doubts
      In my failures You won't walk out
      Your great love will lead me through
      You are the peace in my troubled sea, oh oh
      You are the peace in my troubled sea.

      Delete
  3. I quite like some of these but agree with a lot of them ! Can we add the Peruvian Gloria (neither Peruvian or the Gloria)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, OK. After listening to this:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep4TLwVM9mQ
      I have a headache.

      Delete
  4. We Rise Again from Ashes

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Let There Be Peace on Earth", widely sung in Catholic Masses, was written for a interfaith California summer camp in the 1950s. It mentions God once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Added to the list. We now have 63 so only one more will be accepted.

      Delete
  6. Right, we now have 64 entrants. The competition will (probably) start on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Eccles. As a long-time subscriber to your outstanding Blog (crawl, crawl), and as an occasional supplier of Liturgical support (dosh), may I, please, request an exceptional late-inclusion of this absolutely APPALLING Hymn, entitled “SMELLY FEET” [I kid you not].

    It is Hymn Number 736 in Anglican Hymns Old and New, Revised and Enlarged (Great Britain: Kevin Mayhew, 2008). The Hymn is titled “The World Is Full of Smelly Feet.” Of course, I thought it was a fake, but a little bit of Web searching reveals that it is a real Hymn, with Text by by Michael Forster, and Music by Christopher Tambling.

    Should you exercise your Executive Powers and accept this late entry, I have no doubt it will surge to Number One and take GOLD !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is there, listed as "The world is full of smelly feet".

      Delete
  8. Am I too late? Can't believe no one nominated "Rain Down" I hate that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in the day I used to like As the deer pants, I am the Bread of Life, and Lord of the Dance (the last as much for its charming Shaker melody as for anything).

    So I may have to recuse myself from this competition. 


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can always vote for ones you DON'T like (if there are any).

      Delete
    2. I renounce Graham Kendrick and all his works.

      Delete
  10. So many of these (Estelle White's have titles that really grate on my nerves) and I am sorry that I missed the chance to add The Cherry Tree Carol, an old English hymn that sounds like the wailing hymns of the South (US) and so very irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When does voting start?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...you must really dislike your readers. The only way we can evaluate these "songs" is to search for recordings and listen to them. I'm not sure I can expend that volume of mental anguish. Nails on chalk boards would be more edifying. BTW, I've not heard of 90% of these songs and have no wish to change that now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one always made me cringe. Sons of
    God
    https://divinehymns.com/lyrics/children-of-god-song-lyrics-2/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Long ago prophets knew/ Christ would come born a Jew- F Pratt Green. Utterly awful. Unique ability to make the silliest rhyming schemes known to man.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Long Ago prophets knew...F Pratt Green. Surely a winner through abysmal use of rhyme for no known good purpose

    ReplyDelete