Dear St George, Bad news, I'm afraid. In the World Cup of Patron Saints of England you were knocked out in Round 2 (losing to Edward the Confessor and Edmund Campion). Apparently, in the modern world of patron sainting, there is no call for dragon-slaying. However, your martyrdom is much appreciated. Yours sincerely,
Anyway, the draw for the quarter-finals (held by Twitter poll) is as follows. The results
will be posted here as we get them.
1. John Henry Newman 61.8% v Cuthbert 38.2%.
The old man with the ducks loses out to the young tearaway from Oxford.
2. Bede 38% v Thomas More 62%.
Being venerable was not as popular as being a man for all seasons.
3. Thomas Becket 60.5% v Edmund Campion 39.5%.
The turbulent priest defeats a later martyr.
4. John Fisher 51% v Edward the Confessor 49%.
Only 3 votes in this close contest, but the fisher wins the Fisher-King game.
1. John Henry Newman 36.7% v Thomas Becket 63.3%.
The last non-martyr drops out, although still led by a kindly light.
2. Thomas More 68.7% v John Fisher 31.3%.
The man for all seasons makes it an all-Thomas final.
THIRD PLACE PLAYOFF.
John Henry Newman 41.1% v John Fisher 58.9%.
FISHER takes the bronze!
Thomas Becket 36.2% v Thomas More 63.8%.
BECKET gets the silver medal, and MORE the gold!